Trinity Church was established in 1806. So we have been around the block more than a few times and changed more than a little.
We’ve been good and bad and faithful and sinful and everything in between. Now we are open, inclusive, and challenging and seeking God’s best dream for us in this, our third century.
Here’s a little more about the past (even though we are fully aimed at the future).
From its beginnings, its very conception, in 1805, Trinity Parish has played an important part not only in the community of Geneva, but also in the diocese, and the church at large. It was at the Parish of Trinity, named for its mother church in New York, that the first Episcopal services were held in Geneva in 1805. In 1808 the first building was started. The wooden structure was completed in a year. In 1844, the wooden structure was replaced and the new stone cathedral was built. It was during this time that the first primary convention of the Diocese of Western New York was held, which elected The Rt. Rev. William Delancey as its first Bishop.
You can read elsewhere on the website about the exciting new chapter that has begun for Trinity and our place in Geneva. We are no longer located in the historic church building pictured here, rather, in downtown Geneva at “Trinity Place”: 78 Castle Street.
The building on South Main is awaiting renovation and adaptive reuse to become a boutique inn, restaurant, and event center. While we will have a Sunday morning worship on South Main once the building project has been completed, our spiritual community and its life will continue to be centered and focused at Trinity Place.